Friday, March 13, 2009

The long walk home...

... as the fat lady sang.

Today I completed my work at the Mission and said farewell, or vidimo se, to all my colleagues. On Monday I go back in for a few hours to send a couple emails and go through the check out process, and then I will be officially done.

But today was really the "last day" at work. I think some people expected me to be sad, looking for emotion in my voice and face. Certainly I am going to miss the people at the office, many of them anyway. I will also miss the work, because even though I have some reservations about what is actually going on with "development" work (at least of the philosophical level), I did well, and I learned a great deal.

But sad is not the right word. I have grown a lot, learned a lot and experienced a lot; I have grown close to many of the people I have met through work and outside of work. In Belgrade I have been at my best and my worst, and I have been fortunate for all these experiences. In a sense, I am actually happy because I am aware of how much I have gained by being here.

There is undoubtably anxiety as I still don't have another job lined up yet, but I am not sad. I am thankful for all this.

No comments: