Saturday, November 29, 2008

Self-Ethnography

Where am I now? What do I mean by that? Physically I am in my apartment in Belgrade, Serbia, in my 28th year, of the year 2008 in the western calender. I'm putting Bob Dylan CD's into my Itunes and revisiting them, with a bit of Ani thrown in for good measure.

Philosophically I am in a place of great decisions, biding my time to observe how the landscape arranges itself. What do I mean with landscape? The variety of options and possibilities, in terms of career and academic opportunities, that are being juggled by yours truly. What do I mean by career? The activity that will take most of my time over the course of the next 30 years of my life, and through which I will gain most of my income.

In this moment I am also feeling somewhat nostalgic, a product of Bob Dylan and that Nashville Skyline, but also because I have spent a good portion of the morning dismantling my old blog, and transcribing the old entries I valued. What do I mean by value? The entries that presented a coherent opinion on global event and trends, personal development and introspection, and entries that captured a specific moment in time and froze it in words.

I will spend a few years editing the 50 pages of entries I salvaged, and then think of doing something with it. It presents a glimps of my self-evolution (on multiple fronts) over the period of October 2005 - November 2007. But the reification of David A. Brown in not complete,  and continues in this forum instead. Now somewhat more cautious with how the ink is spilt.

What do I mean more cautious? Careful and pragmatic with what is posted for public consumption, often with career possibilities in mind.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Kako se?

Catching up on all of this. Good to see you've been well and haven't changed though your location has shifted so drastically.

Dodite k meni, the next time you're on the east coast of the good old New World. We can talk about what's important.