Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Election Night Part II

Right, something about the election. I have something of a cynical view of the Obama rally cry 'Hope' and 'Change', partly because I am not convinced that Obama wants what he tells us he wants, but also because I think as President, he won't be able to bring the change he promised. The system just won't take it.

I'm afraid that this will have a devastating effect on the American public, making them hopelessly cynical, angry and afraid. This reaction, if it happens, will open the door to an even more fierce brand of conservatism than the Bush years have given us. Obama has been brilliant at tapping social power, but he is treading on dangerous waters: the mob in ever susceptible to changes. If he succeed, or at least maintain the appearance of success, the mobilized mob will quickly become his nightmare.

My cynicism also makes me question whether a man who was put in the most powerful seat in the world, would really want to make changes that would limit and reduce that power.

Obama presents the US with a paradox: a victory for McCain will confirm the racist character of the American voter, yet a victory for Obama will, and I believe can, only result in huge disappointment for Americans who seem so caught up in Obamainia. A disappointment, which, in this collapsing economy, and polarizing world, will fast turn in to extremism. E, scolding me for my cynicism, said that the US doesn't need immediate results, but rather the ideas, and a break from the old order.

I don't understand why people think the president has so much power to make change? The office doesn't, it requires a lot of other people to go along and implement the initiative. Sure, Obama will have a lot of popular support going in, and I expect he will find a double majority in congress, but he is also going to e subject to the people who funded his 605 million dollar campaign. Ok, many of whom were lower and middle class, but he also took money from large companies, and they are not the kind that like to much change, and only a bit of hope.

But I do have hope: hope that I am wrong about Obama; hope that he will make the changes he talks about; hope he governs without self interest and with profound respect for the people who voted him in; I hope E is right, that the idea will be enough. Only time will tell.

Time for a cat nap.

No comments: