Saturday, November 8, 2008

An amalgamation of mental capital...

Now that the dust has settled, and I clearly need to move on and stop suggesting that a certain person might not have the effect everyone hopes he/she will have, I'll get back to business. I have a bunch of odds and ends to throw up here, stuff I jotted down in my notebook over the last month.

~Date: Unknown

There is always a lot of time to think and reflect when you are in a car full of Serbs, you can't understand what they are saying, and your not the one driving.

In this moment, as I am silent, life appears to me like a flock of birds in flight. I don't mean those migrating birds, flying in some organized pattern, with leaders and followers (though this presents another metaphor we could explore...), I mean those simply flying above a field or around a town. There is some basic reason for their flight, some objective governing and guiding their actions, but that is not how it appears to me.

Between the point of departure and the moment they attain their objective seems to be a series of acts of chaos, spontaneous choices and irrational movements. There appears to be no leader, no solid direction, and what little direction there is, shifts without rhyme or reason. I think our lives are somewhat like this no? Or at least, they can be.

Everything is constantly changing even as it appears to remain the same. We exert little to no control over life's course, and we are always, as Hunter S. Thompson once said, subject to the whims of the great magnet. For my context, I might say, subject to the way.

~Date: 30/10/2008

I should be more thankful for the rain. It is a blessed thing for all those who don't get enough. Yet when it fall here, we run away from it, cursing, as though it were some great evil.

No comments: