Wednesday, May 6, 2009

The kindness of others

I think we often miss the effects we have on other people, certainly I do, and their consequences. A few years ago, in collaboration with Brian, I worked to help a friend, Kay, get a officer position within the Model UN group. It wasn't a big deal to me, he was up to the task and a good guy.

Today Kay sent me one of the nicest messages I have ever received, and he is actively trying to get me a job in Maine.

Thanks Kay.

But this speaks to a bigger point I have been considering for a few weeks now. The idea of leaving somewhere in order to truly see what it is you have. I left Maine for 9 months and didn't honestly expect that I would return. Yet, as I look around for opportunities to make forward steps with my ambitions, I find that Maine is where I can do that.

Of course, it is always nice to be the one who returns with stories of strange lands and gets all the attention. That speaks to my fantasy of being Odysseus. But more importantly, it gives you perspective on what choices there are, and in a sense, you then have the power to make them, because you are more defined as a person. Sure, it causes a bit of stress, but as I see it, in the long run, you become more centered and able to focus on what you want.

Without knowing it, I have built up a nice little network of people who are becoming significant in the evolution of the Southern Maine community. I didn't see it before I left, but now that I went away and came back, I can see it. It's a nice thing.

No comments: