Sunday, January 11, 2009

60 minuets of immortality

For a whole hour today I was free of all my chains. Momentarily I didn't think about her, I didn't think about my family, about Gaza, about my future or any of my nagging concerns. I transformed myself into Diomedes, spear in hand, and flew into battle to challenge Apollo on the shore of Troy.

I charged up and down the battle field, replicating the most beautiful passes and shots of past a present legends. I was di Steffano, then Shilton, then Matthaus, and finally Henry. I controlled myself, then I controlled others, I gave direction and then took direction. I focused on a single task, forcing myself to overcome my physical limitation, in the name of glory, victory and immortality.

I took to the field with the belief that I would win, that I would decide for myself and for others the outcome of this conflict. Everything else melted away, insignificant in the face of what was at hand.

I played football. It was glorious.

No comments: