Thursday, October 30, 2008

Once more for October!

Il nous rest deux jour en Oktobre, donc j'ecrit un dernier text, dedier a ce mois manifique. Really, It has been a fantastic month, fantastique comme on dit, and I am always sad to see October go. While the changing of the leaves hasn't been spectacular in Belgrade, it has been in the rest of Serbia. I think the fact that we have had warm weather and little rain this month, has really made the colors pop. Stara Planina was stunning. The most untouched nature I have ever seen. But more on that another time...

Well, I have about four or five journal entries to post when I have time (they are all hand written) and hopefully that will be soon. A very generous friend is lending me her laptop for November and December. I'll be connected again! I mean, she is also doing it because I am doing grant research for her, but still, it is most kind.

Just a quick note on the film Body of Lies. Very disappointing as it relies on some awful ideological crap to justify some really nasty deaths. Only Russle Crowe was worth watching, doing a sort of 'G W Bush runs the CIA' routine. But the plot was weak - a strange sort of coming of age film for a CIA agent who has to murder a bunch of Arabs before he sees the 'light'. The one good line comes at the beginning of the film when the Jordanian head of Intelligence tells the Americans, torture doesn't work. After that, if your just looking for brutal action and violence, this is your film, but you won't find anything resembling a decent, honest debate about the state of American - Mid East relations.

R. Scott tried, I got the feeling, but fell short. There are those moments when the CIA is portrait as a big incapable organization, and the Arab intelligence service as sleek and effective, using 'homegrown' methods. But it's all overshadowed by this rather thick covering of patriotic treacle, and I guess most people will miss these finer points.

So tonight I'll be off to see Bangkok Dangerous, a hard boiled Nic Cage thriller. At least I am not hoping this one will tackle serious geopolitical themes... ;-)

No comments: