Tuesday, October 14, 2008

R.I.P Macbook Jun '07 - October '08

Yeah, no more lap top...rotten. Means that if I want to write in the blog, I have to stay late at the office... a rather uninspiring atmosphere... So, it's going to be quiet in this space for a while, but my paper notebook will be filling up, and one day I'm start posting again...

Until then...

A few notes from Meeting with Prof. Duhašek:

Read Arendt "life of the mind"
On my question of whether those with knowledge also have political responsibility, her answer was emphatically yes!

~Even for fringe elements there is responsibility. If there is no sense of political responsibility in all elements of society, then there should be...
~If this sense of responsibility is not created, then there is always a chance that evil can return;
~The responsibility needs to be integrated into the very fundamentals of citizenship.
~Serbian Media never listed Karađič's crimes after his arrest;
~Responsibility can be easily displaced unless it is imposed;
~Women in black - take idea of "Not in my Name" to all corners of society;
~Victim mentality never allows for a dealing with the past. You have to think also about the ways in which your own political community has hurt others and your responsibility for that hurt;
~It's my responsibility to see how I have hurt others, not how others have hurt me; that is their responsibility...

...Interesting stuff.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

From "The History Boys" (a show I'm in at Mad Horse) comes a sentiment that I think might help as well:

The easiest way to forget something is to commemorate it.

The idea that the sense of personal loss (ie, the loss of so many fathers/mothers/daughters/sons etc.) in a conflict will wash over the act of conflict itself. We want to commemorate our dead as "heroes" and a war as a "tragedy" but tragedy can almost always be avoided and oftentimes (perhaps more evident in the case of the conflicts in the Balkans) one sides heroes can be portrayed as war criminals or vice versa. When there's a photo on every mantelpiece and a star hung in every window, a society that tries to cling to the status quo needs the suppression of some of the truth of the conflict in order to remain stable. This keeps old wounds fresh.