Thursday, July 31, 2008

a few more thoughts...

After an Interesting conversation with my flat mate A, I thought I would submit a few more thoughts as we move from July into August.

Speaking with my boss I work, I got the sense that they viewed Serbia, in the context of political and social development, as old news (I think the exact phrase was "yesterday's news"). What he meant was that Serbia has changed so much over the last few years, that a reversal to isolation and political instability (at the level of the 1990's and early 2000's) is virtually impossible. Rather, Serbia's future lay firmly with the EU.

I was a bit surprised by the confidence of his statement, perhaps because the political science student in me thought nothing is that sure, particularly in the Balkans. But when I asked A. for his opinion on the matter, he fully agreed with my boss. In a sense I should be please, because it all confirms the things I wrote in the last post. Never the less, its surprising to see people be so blaze about this, particularly because of the resent response to the Karadzic arrest.

No comments: