Monday, February 2, 2009

Day in Moments

The morning was cold despite the weatherman's promise of warm weather. Well, solidarity with the UK I suppose.

But the day also had a strange start to it. He looked up at me as he raised himself from his seat. I wondered why he was getting up well before our stop. He was only half standing when he looked the other way towards Tito's grave and the trees beyond.

I was in those woods when the NATO bombing started he said, smiling.

Though the sun appeared briefly at the end of the day, it did little to warm things up. Nor, for that matter, did the Chairman (woman) in Office. She was glowing with power and money and her new position. I though she was beautiful, and more honest than I expected.

Personally I think their [Holland's] position is totally wrong she said, smiling.

The day ended as it began. Cold wind and a bus ride. But just before that I walked to the bus stop with him and we talked about the hidden power center of the institution we work for. I also said something about the foreign service. He snapped his head towards me.

The foreign service! You don't want to join the foreign service! he said, laughing.

No comments: