Saturday, May 3, 2008

Starting the League...

Met with AJ again today to finalize details on the league and meet with the team captains. Unfortunately none of the captains actually came, but we got work done non-the-less, filling out paper work and talking about life in general.

I've taken over a lot of the logistical side of the project, which I am happy about. Honestly, I prefer it to dealing with people, as this has never been my comfort zone. But I have to recognize also that part of my reluctance, in this case at least, comes from being unsure of how to "deal" with these community members. What that actually means, I'm not sure, but it stems from a fear of the other, of the identity that is different from my own.

Because they have a different culture and they are not assimilated into the American collective, I assume that they will not understand me, not get me or not be willing to go along with the plan. Certainly all of that is a possibility, but then it is in any situation. It's not tied to their individual status as immigrants or minority communities. I guess my point here is that it is an instinct for me to react in a discriminatory way and I think the best way for me to address this racist impulse is through experience.

No comments: