Wednesday, April 16, 2008

"What we have here ...

...is a case of abandonment by the academic Father."

On the whole, this week goes down as one of the more bazaar in my academic life. Between the near completion of the thesis, my reaction to the departure of a mentor, the psycho-analysis applied to my reaction by a different mentor, and the snowball effect generated by an email sent about the Portland United Soccer League, I'm about ready to claim insanity and find a nice padded room. And yet ...

... I am amazingly calm. Things just seem to be falling into place at the moment. Its all a bit daoist if you ask me...

What KB said about my reaction to DB's premature departure was interesting. Am I projecting fears onto his way of doing things? What fears? Abandonment? Why am I taking it personal? In any case, even if I don't entirely agree, its nice to get perspective on things. I was over-reacting, particularly because I'm not in this for the grade. Have I gotten something out of this? Amazing amounts.

The crown on the week has been Thinking Matters and the first public presentation of my thesis. I think it was generally well received, interesting to people, and worthy of further debate. After I went for a wine with AL and got further into the debate. AL is always a good person to review theories with. As the winner of the Academic Freedom Essay Contest, he has an impressive mind.

What lies ahead this week? Finishing up my paper on Turkey, editing the thesis, and all that. But for the rest of the night and tomorrow: nothing. No work, no homework, no thesis. Just a break.

No comments: