Monday, April 7, 2008

Progress = one step forward, two steps back...

I need an external drive full of energy for these next two weeks ...

Certain developments mean I have to have a completed rough draft of the whole thesis in by the 18th of this month, so the next two weeks are going to be devoid of fun of any kind. But it looks like I am getting my thesis defense on Thursday or Friday of Finals week, which is cool. Would love to have my folks there...

I also found a cool grant that I might be able to use for a project in the Balkans. So when I have some down time, or need a break from the thesis, then I can cook up a good project for myself. It needs to have civic engagement in it, and has to be something that will put me in the community, and working with individuals from that community. I would love it to build off of this thesis, so it should involve soccer.

In other news, the German DFB thinks its time for the 'peaceful' fans in the stadiums to be doing the work of the police. I guess there was an incident of fans throwing fireworks around in Frankfurt, so the DFB wants fans to regulate each other in such events... This feels like a rather indirect admission of an awareness to not having the control they appear to have. I also think there is no way this will work; not only do fans generally side with one another against law enforcement inside a stadium, but the group mentality means no individual is likely to speak up when they see others doing something the wider group may approve of.

No comments: