Saturday, December 6, 2008

Why Serbia Doesn't See Change in 'You Know Who'

To be clear to all the Obama-ites out there, this entry is not a personal political statement, but rather a reflection of how his appointments are viewed from over here, on the fringe. So please don't send the Rightist Police after me...

~Vice President: Joe "I split up Yugoslavia" Biden
~Secretary of State: Hillary "I encouraged Bill to use NATO forces in Serbia" Clinton
~National Security Advisor: James "I used to Run NATO" Jones
~Defense Secretary: Robert "I was appointed by Bush" Gates
~Treasury Secretary: Timothy "I worked for the IMF" Geithner
~Commerce Secretary: Bill "I worked for Clinton" Richardson
~Chief of Staff: Rahm "I also worked for Clinton and I have brass balls" Emanuel

I am, of course having a bit of fun here. I don't know if these choices will end up being wise or not, and they may well be. I hope so. But irrespective, the opinion in Serbia of these individuals is less than choice. All of them, in some form, are associated with the Clinton era, the NATO bombing and Kosovo conflict, and in general, with the Washington establishment.

Thus, for Serbia, there will be little tangible change coming from the US after Jan. 20th. Naturally, Obama cannot ponder every single country when making these appointments, but he will have to expect that the choice he made, will send a negative message to quiet a few corners of the World. 

No comments: