Tuesday, September 2, 2008

blogging before bed

What a day. Long. At work at 810 am to prepare for the morning department meeting, then a long (longer than it needed to be) meeting, and then into the dentist chair. I have one cavity, and otherwise perfect teeth. But the cavity is now plugged, and my teeth are shiny again.

Why write about this? Well, two years ago I went to the dentists in the US, Aspen Dental, and had a check up and a cleaning. They charged $60 for the cleaning, and then the dentist tried to tell me I needed 4 (four) minor fillings. I was surprised, but when they told me the total for the four fillings would be around $1000 dollars, I was devastated. No way I could afford that. So, I just brushed like a crazy man, and didn't get the fillings.

How surprised was I today when my Serbian dentists told me my teeth were in great shape, bar the one small cavity. I certainly didn't need 4 fillings. So, I was pleased, of course, but also in-sensed at the fact that I was almost scammed by this dental chain. How ironic that I was saved by poverty. By the way, one filling in Serbia cost $35 dollars, not $250. Even if I didn't have dental coverage, I would still be able to afford it.

~~

Yesterday I wrote about the experience in the Red Star stadium, and today I thought some more about it. I conceptualized the "North Curve" as a kind of law-free zone, where there is basically a state of anarchy, and in which you can do anything you want. Into this zone, no figures of legal authority dare set foot, at least not until things get so bad that the riot forces are called in.

Some one asked me today if the three kids smoking pot could have done the same in the US? I said no, certainly not in that context. Not so openly and blatantly, right in front of the security forces. In the US, those kids would have been busted for sure. But the stadium culture is also different, less violent and anarchistic, as the average US sports fan is a more law abiding person than a Serbian soccer fan.

No comments: