Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Where am I going with this... ~ 1/23/2008

From email correspondence:

"What I think I am having a hard time nailing down (as I have all along) is how to make the connection between these loose pieces. On the one side I am trying to look at soccer and its role as a socializer and source of identity (thus its part in civil society). On the other hand I seem to be straying into discussions about geo-political ramifications of "power" and nationalism.

I think what might be possible is to look at ever present racist "incidence" that occur at matches, who is the victim/perpetrator, and if possible what the motivation might be. If the object of the thesis is to look at the paradox of the sport being universal yet divided, and thus its legitimacy as a method of socialization, then the racism contributes to the "divisive" side of the question.

The connection between the case study of racism in European soccer is easier to connect with the games position in civil society. I have some very good articles on the evolutions in German citizenship, which can give me some background. So maybe Germany should remain my focus for these case studies."

No comments: